The American Indians I Have Known

In fact, I'm from Europe, and my experience includes Scottish, English, German and Irish. These are the groups that I know, but my grandmother was an orphan raised in a convent partially. One side of my family has been here since the Revolutionary War, so I'm sure you had many contacts with American Indians. Scottish club my family escaped persecution of English around 1600 or so, so I'm very American and very likely mixed with genealogy. 

When I was about twelve years old, I met the most wonderful friend. She was very popular and I do not think he wanted to talk to me. I was wrong and I met his family, consisting of father and mother, and sister. His mother was Irish and Choctaw (branch of the Cherokee). Me and my friend would like to stay together for the day, and her sister was often included in our activities. We rode horses belonging, traveled on grassy hills, and playing games around the kitchen table. His mother was so much fun to be with, and she did not try to act young, but she was very young at heart. He loved to go with us in all our activities like bowling, horse shows, and shopping. 


My friend's sister was a champion rider. It is mounted in the gymkhana competitions, contests that are Western, unlike games such as British riders jump obstacles. In gymkhana, we saw games like run around three barrels full speed, and riding with saddles and bridles West. We have traveled many places to see these competitions. Two of the most interesting places we visited were Pine Valley, in the mountains of San Diego and Santa Barbara. At Pine Valley slept outside in sleeping bags in the cold of the night, while the parents of my friends we stayed in a small trailer, they brought with them. In Santa Barbara, the sister of my friend has won awards throughout Southern California. She was a great horse woman. 


My friend and I also rode all the time. Most of the time to wander the hills. I rode "Snippo" a gelding, and my friend rolled "Cindy" a former rodeo horse. Cindy did not like being touched anywhere around their flanks and she resisted me out many times. Carol She preferred but crow-hopped with us, jumping up and down on all fours. It was a beautiful palomino. The sister of my friend had a young horse she used expensive quarter horse shows. This horse was spirited and was led by the sister of my friend. 


Once we went on the hills abouty half mile from the house of my friend and we decided to take the reins of the horses. We rode bareback, bareback, so we launched the horses of their headgear. What an idea! Even gave them a little bit on the back without imagining they were off to who knows where. We had to find their way slowly back and face the terrible task of telling the father of my friend. We told them it came out and was not very angry. But he knew he had taken the reins off. He found in the yards of neighbors who lived above the hills where often roamed. 


I've never been so relieved in my life. 

My friend and I went to junior high and high school together. I had a couple of buddies and I spent a lot of time with them. One was a local boy and Indian dancing at the ball Bostonia, where all the cowboys. They were great dancers and even today, my friend is a professional hula dancer. We have done together in the choir, a talent show, organizations and clnb modern dance. 


She is a natural dancer with light feet and a precise rhythm, while I particularly liked the acting and performance. Skating routines and skits often expected to make friends. His mother was also a seamstress and made clothes and my friend. They made me feel part of their family and treated me like a daughter. This friend and always communicate and we are both in our late 60s.

Fast forward now in their thirties, when I was job hunting. I had gone through a divorce and was using my teaching degree for a position either in California or a neighboring state. I heard about jobs in Indian Reserve, and introduced myself. After a short wait I was accepted and got into my little Volkswagen and I went to the Navajo Indian Reservation.


I had to leave my son two years ago with my ex-husband in the hope to visit regularly. The trip was not very exciting and adventurous. I traveled through the semi-arid California landscape, and through the Arizona desert. I went through Monument Valley, where I saw the strange rock formations and amazing that permeated the landscape.