Does Your Life Need To Change?

Think of a relationship like a journey. But in this case, you are sharing it with someone else. A lot of factors go into the relationship that will determine whether it will succeed or not. Just like when you are packing for a trip somewhere, certain things need to be in your suitcase in order for you to have a successful vacation or whatever. If you don't have those things packed, you will either have to buy them somewhere or do without for the duration of your journey.

The problem is, you cannot buy the ingredients you need for a relationship, they have to be developed by your choices in your life. Will I be a kind or mean person? Will I fly off the handle easily and get angry or hurt at the slightest thing that goes wrong? Will I seek to be close to God who loves me dearly or will I choose another way to try to find that peace I need in my life? Am I going to be a giver or a taker all my life? Am I going to be a forgiving person or hold grudges?

The list goes on and on. You can make your own list if you like to help guide you to better relationships. Maybe you can get the opinions of your friends and family about your personality, then compare your answers to these questions against theirs.

Where am I going to look for people to be in a relationship with? Am I going to try to do it on my own or ask God to help me find the right person? Who am I going to blame if things go wrong, or am I going to take responsibility for my own actions, then ask for help when I need it? If you look in a bar for someone to care about, it is unlikely you will find the right person. Let's just say the odds are against you finding the one you need. If I ask for God's help to find someone special, am I willing to wait for His timing? God's first priority for your life or anyone's is for you or them to be close to Him, God's way.

Are there things in your life that need to change before you can be a good partner to someone? Are you willing to put forth the effort to make these changes with God's help? Look for people to be close to who are honest and nurturing, not condemning so you can grow and not be under guilt all the time. Be patient with yourself and God as you work together to make your life better. Put Him first in your life, and He will help you with the rest of what you need.(Matthew 6:33)

Don't be afraid of questions like these. They are good to help you analyze your life, but don't think you need all the answers before you can be close to God or have a relationship. Some answers you will learn before a new relationship starts, unless you rush it. Other answers will come as you grow as a person in many ways. And some answers will happen when you have the relationship and you and your partner will hopefully learn them together and apply them properly. Put God at the center of your life and relationships, and watch how much you will be blessed.

I guarantee if you do this you won't believe the good things God will work out for you. That doesn't mean you will never have bad things happen, but God will work the bad things around for your good.(Romans 8:28) Remember, good and bad people have good and bad things happen in their lives. But it is how you react to the circumstances and where you turn for answers that will determine the course of your life. Will you turn to God or turn away when the bad things happen?

Only you can answer these and other questions that pertain to you. No one can force you to be close to God because you have a free will to do so or not. God created you with that gift. But it is what you do with the gift that counts. God loves you! Will you let Him help you make your life better so your relationships will succeed? I will be praying that you do as you grow spiritually in God's grace.